Thursday 11 September 2014

Indian Butter Chicken

      Hey, hey!

   How is the week going? Almost the weekend! Anyone else feeling the burn of the first few weeks of school? It is such a busy time of year with school, and all the after school stuff starting, it's such a rush back into routine and reality! I'm going to be a first-year hockey mom this fall! My guy is trying hockey, and he is actually really excited! And so are we. I think. :)

   Do you ever have the weeks where you're so out of control with a busy schedule that you just can't pull it in? That's me this week! We had some unexpected and very exciting company form our dear friends, the Loewen's, this week! They were stuck here thanks to a car break-down, and we got the chance to have a good visit. Then the rest of my craziness is mostly chalked up to me being a total freak and not getting it together! I am also in total need of a Costco trip, and am running low on meat and supplies. I'll blame that!

   I am still in the depths of the T25 tapes. They are really good and I love being done so quick! What I don't love is having to throw myself in the general direction of the toilet and hope I land on it. My legs are so paralyzed, there is a zero percent chance of me bending down in that position! Lifting my arm above my head to do anything, nope. Not happening. These are the signs that I'm doing something right, but man, it's tough!!

   This recipe today is for butter chicken. Probably one of the most popular Indian food dishes out there. The one problem with it is it is usually made with very heavy cream of some sort. Mama don't play like that. The thing with curry dishes and such are they are very much to personal taste. I really recommend that you add little by little until you see what your family likes. Some curries and pastes can be super spicy, and it sucks to ruin a dish when you overdo it. Once you get too hot, there's nothing much you can do from there. Except hope to baby J that you don't murder your underwear later for ticking off your stomach!! Let's do 'er!!



Indian Butter Chicken

you need:
2-4 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks, can also use boneless thighs, cut up
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (flavor of your choice, I used fire roasted -try to avoid anything with much for added flavors that might not mix)
1 can full fat organic coconut milk
1 white onion, diced
2-4 minced garlic cloves
butter for frying

Spices: (remember, add and try- find your taste!!)
2-4 Tbsp yellow curry powder
1-3 Tbsp red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen brand)
half to 1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
pinch cayenne (optional)
 
Jasmine or Basmati rice for serving, if desired
Garlic Naan bread for dip, dip, dipping, if desired (careful, it can be a little bit dirty for you!!)

In a large, deep frying pan add your few pads of butter, and heat up over medium high. Add onion and cook for a few minutes until tender. Add the minced garlic and cook a few more minutes. Add the tomatoes and the coconut milk and stir to combine.

Add in all your spices.



 Stirring totally to mix everyone into the pool nicely!! Now is the time to taste test and decide what you want to add. Once you add the raw chicken you can't be testing it anymore! Add in the raw chicken and stir. Turn to a medium heat and cover. You're looking at about 30 min to simmer and cook chicken through. Stirring often.


If you're using an Indian type rice, prepare it now.

Once chicken is cooked through and you're satisfied with your sauce, use a slotted spoon to scoop onto your plate. Spooning more sauce over , as you like. Garnish with a titch of parsley and BOOM! You just cooked this up so well, you are basically from India now. :))





**NOTE-  if you're short on time, saute your chicken in a small side pan and just add into your sauce once you have it how you like it, instead of simmering in the raw chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment