Thursday 3 July 2014

Crock Pot Sesame Honey Chicken



   I'm back! I seriously can not believe how long it's been since my last post! I am done my holiday's, and am back on here like normal! I appreciate all the messages and texts regarding my random absence! Sometimes life gets in the way! :)

   We had a lot of back to back things happening in June, some of which involved good friends, family, booze and dirty food. Ok, all of the things had those factors!! Needless to say, my pants are tight and I feel like a beached whale! But like I've mentioned before, I'm learning to allow myself the good times and then picking up, and back to the gym when it's all said and done! And I did, and I'm fairly certain I had beer and clam coming out of my pores on the treadmill tonight! :))

   Summer gets tricky because it's hot, for one. No one likes sweating to death over the stove in the heat. Plus, there is tons of fun stuff to do! Going to the gym is hard to make a priority in the summer. I mostly workout at home, as we have a pretty great gym here. But when my kids are home, I get the sweet pleasure of hearing about Jedi's and Angry Birds basically the entire time I'm on the treadmill. Anyone with kids home from school should feel my pain on this one! It can be a challenge, but try to get some activities in and get outside!

   For a few weeks I thought my new camera was broken. I kept trying to load my photos to post and the camera would die. After several angry sessions, some swearing and rage....I finally decided to sick my tech-dork husband on it. Turns out I was plugging into the wrong spot (huge surprise there) and it was shorting the battery. So, easy fix. I just had to turn down my dumb a little. Haha!!

   This recipe tonight is a super easy one. Great for hot summer days because it's done in the crock pot. Only a few ingredients and makes lots for great leftovers. I had a box of organic ancient grains quinoa and served it over that, with some sauteed red peppers. Done. Thank me later! :)


Honey Sesame Crock Pot Chicken
You need:
3-5 boneless chicken breasts (depending how much you want leftover, I used 5 medium sized ones)
1/2 a white onion, chopped
3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup raw honey
1/2 cup soy sauce (I used coconut amino's, as a soy free option)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne (adjusted for little peeps)
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp chili flakes (or red pepper flakes for less heat)
sea salt and pepper to taste
sesame seeds
chives to garnish (optional)

1 red pepper cut into matchsticks
quinoa or rice for serving with, if desired


Place chicken into slow cooker and season with sea salt and pepper, turn to low

In a mixing bowl add the rest of the ingredients, excluding the red pepper (if using). Whisk until smooth.


Pour mixture over top of chicken in the crock pot. Making sure all chicken has been mixed with sauce to prevent drying/burning.


Lid on, no peeking for 2 hours! My crock pot cooks really hot, this was done for me after 3 hours on low. You want no pink remaining, (duh) and basically falling apart and easy to shred.

Once the chicken is done, transfer the meat using a slotted spoon, onto a plate. Leave the sauce in the crock pot.


Using 2 forks, shred the chicken into bite sized pieces. Everybody back into the pool. Aka, chicken back in the sauce, lid on until you're ready to serve. Make sure to mix it all back up reallllllllllllllllllllllll good.


Like I said, I made ancient grains quinoa to go with this. We have never had this particular brand, and it was good. Fun to try something new.
Once the chicken was sitting I started the quinoa. Then just sauteed the red pepper sticks in some butter and garlic.
Plate your quinoa or rice, then some peppers, and finally your chicken. Spoon some sauce over top, add chives and or sesame seeds and BOOM! heaven. Or just slap it all on the plate in no particular order like a barbarian, what do I care.
 So tender, flavorful and melt in your mouth. You'll have trouble keeping your grimy little hands off this! :)





original recipe pingback to "www.fitandbusy.wordpress.com"

No comments:

Post a Comment