Wednesday 16 April 2014

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy

 
Hello, everybody! Short week comin' at ya!! Happy almost Easter to everyone! Now, if Mother Nature could get on board with the world, that'd be super!!

   This has been a really busy week at our house. My gram's birthday was Monday and my mom's is today! Plus it's Easter coming this weekend. My dear mother requested a down and dirty cake, with a butter cream icing. I know, she's a total dirty talker. But, if you can't have the treat you want on your birthday, when can you??? :)

  Last night I decided I was going to make the cake from scratch. She wanted chocolate, so I hit up good ol' Pinterest to stalk out some good recipes. When making a box cake mix, a gal can kind of turn a blind eye to the sugar and goodies that are added in, because you're not physically adding them yourself. Some of the recipes I saw used 2-4 cups of sugar! Mother of god. I'd have my family in a diabetic coma after one bite! So I settled on one that was easy to make and wasn't too hideous on the sugar. It called for 1.5 cups, so I used half a cup of organic cane sugar and half cup coconut sugar. Everyone loved it and said it was great. Either it was, or they're afraid of my rage if they say otherwise! Here's a quick pick to show you what I resisted today! (even though I wanted to close the shutters and bathe myself in the icing......)



Now, after those dirty-hot cake pics, go have yourself a cold shower and a smoke and let's talk about my supper, shall we?

   I originally tried this recipe last year, before my experience with some of these different ingredients is what it is now. I totally screwed up the gravy last time and it basically ruined the whole thing. Usually tapioca starch and arrowroot powder are pretty interchangeable. Not this time! I ended up with a slimy mess, that looked and smelled awesome. Not so much. This time I wasn't taking the chance and used....wait for it....package gravy mix. Stop judging me!! Ha ha. I can hear the eating police on their way....I didn't have the arrowroot, only tapioca and I wasn't trying that again. I can't stand messing up food!

   It turned out so good, and we had no leftovers. As I was making it, Grey asked if he could have meatballs instead. Done. I formed the rest of the mix into little meatballs and served the kids with those. One with the gravy, one without. Can't win 'em all!
   This can be made ahead in the morning and left in the fridge until you're ready to toss it in the oven. Orrrrrrrrr when you're done watching your pvr'd The Voice. Mmmmmmmm Usher and Adam....ahem..anyways, carry on.

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy

You need:
Aprox. 1 lb ground beef (or half beef and half ground turkey, that's what I did)
1 egg
1/2 cup almond flour (could use breadcrumbs, possibly adjusting the amt. for liquid as needed)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground mustard, onion powder, garlic salt
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small package fresh white mushrooms
2 pkgs powdered gravy (or follow the original recipe link to make the gravy, or make your own fav)
butter for cooking mushrooms
***for the gravy you can also use beef broth and do more of an au jus, if you like-with the mushrooms in

Pre-heat oven to 350.
Line a large baking tray with foil, and place cooking racks on top. This allows any extra grease to drip off and the air to circulate underneath for even cooking.

Add your ground meat into a large mixing bowl, adding in the rest of the ingredients, excluding the mushrooms and gravy. (duh)
Don't over mix, or you'll end up with tough, dry patties. Just until combined and the liquid is absorbed.


Form into thin, flat patties. Aprox. 1/2 inch. Try to keep them all the same so they all cook evenly. 
Place onto your greased cooking racks.


Cook without flipping, for about 25 min or until no pink remains.
While that is cooking, slice your mushrooms up nice and thin. 
Add about a tsp or so of butter to a small pan and cook the 'shrooms over med-high heat until nicely browned. Add more butter if needed. If using the powdered gravy, mix according to package and keep warm. Once mushrooms are done, add to gravy and mix and set aside.

When Salisbury steaks are finished, plate and add the mushroom gravy to each one. I had some cauliflower to use up, so I made mashed cauli as a side. This weather kind of screams cozy food, and this qualifies for me! Plus, the gravy goes super-de-duper on the mashed cauli!


I hope you like it as much as we did! Enjoy! And share with your friends!

original recipe pingback to "thedomesticman.com"

No comments:

Post a Comment