Tuesday 8 April 2014

Crockpot Cashew Chicken

 
   Hello, everyone! How's the week going? Things are pretty normal over here. Getting ready to head into the final push of the school year, and into summer! Could that really be true? Cheesy as it is to say, the time truly does rip by.

   Do you ever find yourself in a bit of a slump with meal ideas? I am that way with the kids right now for morning time. It's actually Kort. He's cutting a molar, and has put himself on a bit of an eating strike. It's stressful when kids don't eat, and you find yourself scrambling to get something into them. Grey has taken on a love affair with fruit cut up into Greek yogurt. This morning Kort was stalking him, trying to get a bite and to steal it from him. Perfect. I thought I had finally found something that he will eat. Cut up the fruit. Get the yogurt. Mix it with vanilla. Toss him in his highchair and present him with my glorious breakfast.


I think he really loved it, don't you? Sigh. Maybe tomorrow. Kids are assholes! Write that down.

   If you remember a week or so ago I mentioned a month long squat challenge I was doing. It is pure torture. But I'm not quitting. Why? Because I have a runway butt, and not in a "Victoria Secret" kind of runway,either. More of a "long, flat area where planes land" kind of runway. It is maaaaaaaybe getting a bit easier, but the next morning I am met with the pain and burning all over again. My friend Angel is also doing this with me and she found this today. It basically sums us up.


Alas, on I go with a solid 22 days to go. Seriously, how has it only been 8 days?

   Okay, cooking time. My friend Amber sent me this recipe last week and I have been waiting on it until I had all the ingredients. I took over Costco yesterday and stocked up! Did you know that Costco now carries a 3-pack of organic ketchup for $7.99? Pretty sure I usually pay that for just one at Safeway. :(
I almost ruined this today by accidentally setting my crock pot on high. I came upstairs form my workout and there was steam shooting straight out of the little blowhole on the lid! I turned it down to low and left it only about an hour more. Then I finished it in a casserole dish in the oven because the sauce had started to burn in the crock pot. Came out great still and had rave reviews form 3/4 peeps. Refer to your above written note about children to determine who the man out was. :)
   This is a super easy dish that can easily be increased to serve plenty of people. And as always, make your house smell amazing. I served it with simple ricotta mashed cauliflower. Boom, done.

Crockpot Cashew Chicken

You need:
boneless, skinless chicken thighs- cut in half  (aprox. 2 lbs)
1/2 cup arrowroot powder (cornstarch will work)
1 tsp black pepper
6 tbsp coconut amino's or soy sauce
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp rice vinegar (white vinegar will work)
4 tbsp organic ketchup or tomato paste
1-2 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1-2 tsp ground ginger 
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup cashews
Coconut oil or olive oil for frying

Place the arrowroot and black pepper in a large ziploc and shake to combine.
Add your cut up chicken into the arrowroot bag in batches, making sure all of the chicken is coated. Shake off extra.
Heat up your choice of oil in a large pan, over medium heat. Add coated chicken and cook until browned on each side. About 5 minutes in total. Only flipping once.



Once chicken is all browned, add to the crock pot. Mix up your remaining ingredients, excluding the cashews. Whisk your sauce in a small mixing bowl until combined and pour over chicken in the crock pot.


Use a small spoon and make sure all chicken is covered in sauce. Cover, and cook on LOW, I repeat, LOW, for 3-4 hours, checking around the 3 hour mark. Once the chicken is done, stir in the cashews. There you have it! Like I said, I made a simple mashed cauli to go with it. Just steam your cauliflower until very tender. Drain and mash, just like you'd do with potatoes. I add about a tbsp of butter as I'm mashing, then stir in a spoonful or two of soft ricotta cheese. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. And you're done!


Few things I want to mention. I am working on buying a better camera for my blog pictures. We are researching and checking different ones out. I apologize if some of my pictures aren't so great, but I'm working on that! If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them! Secondly, I realize not everyone is Paleo or is familiar with some of the ingredients I may use. I will always try to provide any subs that I can for different choices. I get lots of texts and messages asking for help, and I love it! Don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy!

original recipe pingback to "preppypaleo.com"

No comments:

Post a Comment