Monday 24 February 2014

Coconut Crispy Fingers

 
  Hello, all! How is everyone? Living in a deep depression because the Olympics is over? Me too!

    Many people have commented to me that they like my posts because they are "real life" and normal. This is how I feel like I sound in my head, so I'm glad that I get the message across! My intention is to never sound preachy or that my ways and ideas are right for everyone. What I know is what worked for me, and I want to try and give others ideas that they can turn into their own! It's all interpretation. 

   Where is this coming from, you say? Since I've started the blog, when I see people in the grocery store-some people stare directly at my cart! Scoping my groceries. I like to think that it's because I have such wicked and glamorous taste...but I know in reality it's because they are scanning it looking for pizza pops and chocolate bars! Fine with me. Do I buy entirely perfect food? Hella no! My kids eat mini pizzas and gold fish sometimes. We get a cookie form the bakery and if you see me at Tim Hortons afterwards...I'm totally having an icy cap!

   We had our good friends Dave and Jody at our house this weekend from Calgary. We had a great meal of steak and lobster accompanied with enough booze to drown an Olympic swimmer. The next morning Jody and I got into a great conversation about the scale (the dreaded scale....) and what does the number mean. When you really break it down, what does that number mean? It can be a representation of time spent kicking ass, working on a goal or it can be a number directly resulted from 2 am nachos from 7-11. Either way, does that change your self worth? Why do we let that number make us feel a certain way?

    Don't compare weight from one person to the next. A certain weight can be so ripped and healthy on one person but flabby and unfit on the next! There are so many factors to consider, it's not black and white. Do your jeans make you feel like you have a blueberry muffin popping out the top? Maybe it's time for a change. Or do you feel sexy in a size that you never did before, and you feel great about getting yourself out there? That's what it's about, being healthy and happy and fit. Not using a coat hanger to do up your jeans because they are so god damn tight. Besides, the camels called and they want their toes back. Don't even try and pretend you don't know what I mean ...you know what tight jeans are capable of............

   I have been the person that refuses to go somewhere because "what would I eat there?" or who has sat by (miserably, I might add) while friends had a few drinks and some fun food, and I didn't because what if the scale went up the next day? I'm not like that anymore and it's a much happier life. In a situation like this weekend, I made healthy snacks as well and had a decent dinner. I hardly ever have drinks these days (because I'm old balls) and I enjoyed having a "few" with good friends. In 50 years from now what will it matter if I enjoyed some drinks and a dirty little snack? I can always get back to exercise the next day, and I did. In fact I'm sure I heard the treadmill cry a little when I stepped on today. Maybe that was me....but in any case... you can never get back the social time you had with friends and family in your lifetime. Make it count, don't make regrets!

    Ok, supper. Tonight I made a crispy coconut chicken strip with the zucchini fritters I posted a while back. Both my kids ate an entire chicken breast which I took a as a major win. These don't have a super coconut taste if you're wondering and you can go a little light on the breading at first to see how you like the flavor. I do the ones for the kids like that. God forbid there was ever a "piece" of anything on Grey's food, it'd be game over right there. I just got my veggie spiraler in the mail and I had intended to use it tonight to try zucchini noodles. Unfortunately, in my rush to slam the bathroom door before Kort pumped all the soap onto the floor at record speeds, I slammed by fingertip in the door. It ruined my life for a good 10 minutes. I think I saw the dark side for a second there. You know when you hurt yourself and you go through severe rage after you recover from the pain? That was me. It made me so mad and it really hurt! Long story longer, I ran out of time to try the noodles. Hopefully in the next few days.
  


Coconut Crispy Strips:

You Need:
3-4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 cup almond flour (regular flour can be subbed at 1:1)
1 cup shredded coconut
2 tbsp coconut sugar (brown sugar can be subbed 1:1)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp all season
1-2 cups almond, coconut or dairy milk
oil for frying 

Heat oven to 375, line baking trays with cooking racks and tin foil- grease the racks

Mix all the ingredients excluding the milk into a shallow bowl or large zip loc bag. Mix well to combine.
Pour your milk into a separate bowl.
Set yourself up a little assembly line with the milk, your crusting, chicken and the tray.


Dip each piece into the milk, shaking off the excess. Dip into the crust mix, shaking off the stragglers. Onto the tray. Repeat. I think you get the drift?


Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the strips. No need to flip, that's why you used the cooking racks. See what I did there?? You're welcome. :) 
In the frenzy of my smashed finger and my last minute attempt to pull together a side dish- I almost ruined my fritters! I broiled them a bit too long, so they look quite dark. But we ate them and dammit we liked them! :)


I served it with a spoonful of the jalapeno Greek yogurt from Costco. If you haven't tried this, you suck. Get in the car and go find it! It really is amazing.
I usually share my blog on Facebook, so please feel free to give a gal a "like and share" if you enjoy my stuff!

Original recipe pingback to "www.preppypaleo.com"


No comments:

Post a Comment