Sunday 1 December 2013

Pan Seared Pot Roast and Paleo Yorkshire Pudding

 Sunday Funday!

   Why does the weekend always go so fast? I am not looking forward to the forecast this week! I hope it doesn't get as bad as predicted. I get severe road rage in the winter! I hate winter driving, and when things get cancelled due to bad roads, etc. I have yet to start much of my Christmas shopping and I may need a brown paper bag to breathe into, if I don't get going soon!
 
   Who had one of these creepy little buggers show up at their house today, or have one on route....


 Elf On The Shelf. Nope, nothing to do with eating or cooking. But it sure will consume my time over the next 25 days! Some people tend to display some serious rage on Facebook, etc over this little guy. I guess not everyone agrees that a little doll watching your children at all times is desirable ? :) Grey acquired "Elvie" just last year, and adores him. Christmas in kids, especially the little ones, is kind of what the parents make it. You also tend to carry on how you had it as a child. For example, I think my mom may actually think she is Mrs.Claus. For real. So, I like to get all up in the Christmas business!  The kids are only in the "believe" stage for so long, may as well make it as magical as you can! On that note, I will be hitting up magical 'ol Pinterest for the next 24 nights for my daily idea!!

   The weather was chilly this weekend, and what better a dinner on a cold Sunday night than a nice pot roast? A few months ago I decided to try a Paleo Yorkshire pudding recipe. I was very hesitant, as the yorkies are my husband's favorite part of this meal, and if I screwed them up to the point of not having them, I may have to put him on suicide watch. But I was confident. And I won, again. I have made them about 5 times now, and we have loved them every time! The only thing with these is you need to be on your game, as the batter must sit for an hour, before cooking for 30 minutes. What we tend to do is cook the roast, and then let it rest the 30 minutes while the yorkie's are in. The recipe calls for beef drippings. I commented to the original blogger, and they responded that butter or beef broth is interchangeable for the drippings. So far I have only tried it with butter. They puff up in the oven and look super impressive, so be sure to make them when you have company over, you'll be in the running for super-mom for sure. Even if you don't have kids. It's that good. I just fried up some onions and mushrooms in balsamic, to have on the side. Enjoy!


You need:
pre-heat oven to 325

1 top sirloin roast
spices to your taste (we use: sea salt, black pepper, Montreal Steak Spice, whole garlic cloves)
We spread out all our spices on the cutting board and then roll the roast in the spices until covered. Also cutting a few holes and entering whole cloves of garlic throughout.



Heat up a greased frying pan to med-high heat, and sear it a few minutes on each side. Transfer to a roasting pan and depending on the size of roast and your well-done preference (we like rare to medium rare) cook aprox. 45 minutes, testing from then on to your liking.

Paleo Yorkshire Pudding
pre-heat oven to 400
You need:
3 eggs, preferably at room temp
1/2 cup almond milk (regular, whole milk can be subbed 1:1)
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 + 1/4 beef drippings (or melted butter or beef broth)

Whisk your eggs, milk of choice and 1/8 cup of drippings in a large bowl.
Add arrowroot powder and stir to combine. No lumps!
SET BATTER ASIDE FOR ONE HOUR (NOT IN FRIDGE)


After the hour is up, take a 9x9 baking dish and grease. Place in the already hot oven (if you had the roast in and have taken it out, turn oven to 400 for the yorkies) keep in until pan is hot, 3 minutes or so.
Take out and add your 1/4 cup of drippings. Back into the oven until sizzling. Aprox. 5 minutes. When hot, give your batter a quick stir and dump into the hot pan. 

Bake for 30 minutes, without opening the oven door!! This could cause them to fall, and they would be goners after that!
Serve along side your perfectly prepared roast and some veggies! Use your drippings to make a beef gravy, or be a dirty cheater and use the good 'ol packaged brown gravy. Enjoy!!





Original recipe pingback to "www.paleocupboard.com"

No comments:

Post a Comment