Tuesday 10 December 2013

"Lasagna" Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

Hello, everyone! How's the week going? I'm hanging in there! Christmas countdown is on!

   If you go to a workout class or gym, do you ever get a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and almost die? Do I really look like that? Sometimes it's better to stay in the back row at aerobics, like I do, then you are too blind to see the mirror. :)


Point taken.


   Yesterday was a total Monday for me. I woke up with the stiffest neck in the world, and I had aerobics first thing. My youngest is STILL sick, and had a totally ass sleep. Off I headed to class. About 5 minutes in I started to have pain in my calf, which I tore earlier this Fall. I tried to take it easy, but I looked like I needed a body cast! Between that and my neck, I was not rocking my full Richard Simmons potential! A few hours after class my neck hurt so much, I could hardly turn it! Both of my "injuries" have loosened up today, but I still feel pretty sorry for myself!

   Those kind of days are the exact reason that I can't keep any treats or crap food in the house. I start to pout and get cranky, and I start looking for things to pick at. At Target on Sunday, Shane and I were Christmas shopping. This is what he wanted to bring home....


The Jesus sized container of cheesy poofs, as he calls them. Not in this lifetime. I don't even really like those damn things, but rest assured I'd have an orange moustache in no time...
Needless to say, they didn't go in the cart!

   Last night I made something called "Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash". It's sort of similar to the squash recipe I posted last week, but you serve it right inside the squash, and it has 2 kinds of cheese baked in. It was very good, and I finished the rest for lunch today. I've had a few comments on the squash recipes with people saying it was never one of those things they ever thought they'd like. If it is prepared in a good way, it is very delish, and you can do so many things with it. I made the base for the sauce, but you can always use a jarred sauce to save time.

Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash:

You need: (this fed 2 adults with leftovers)
2 medium spaghetti squash
olive or coconut oil

meat sauce:
ground meat of choice
1 white onion, diced
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
sea salt and pepper to taste

Squash "stuffing"
1 cup full fat cottage cheese or ricotta (I used cottage cheese)
1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
1 cup shredded mozzarella

pre-heat oven to 400
mix cottage cheese and basil in a small bow, set aside
cut your squash in half, vertically, removing seeds.
Brush the insides of the squash with your chosen oil
season with salt and pepper


Put into the oven on a baking tray with a bit of water on it. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until outer flesh is easily pierced. Don't overcook. Nobody enjoys a soggy noodle, am I right?
In the meantime, make the sauce.
Brown your meat in a large frying pan with the onion, garlic and the rest of the sauce ingredients. Once meat is cooked through, turn down heat and simmer until squash is done.

When squash is out,let those buggers cool about 10 minutes, they will steam your face right off!!
Once cool, fluff them up a bit using a fork. Not too aggressively, just for serving purposes. Divide your cottage cheese mixture between the squash.

 

Add the meat mixture to each one, and sprinkle with the mozza. Turn oven to broiler


Back into the oven and broil until cheese is golden.



Add a bit more salt and pepper to taste and voila! You're a domestic goddess, again!!


Original recipe pingback to: www.closetcooking.com

No comments:

Post a Comment