Wednesday 4 December 2013

Honey Hot Chicken Wings and Seared Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

 
   Hump day. Awesome! If you're still alive after all this snow, that is! Our street is slowly being dug out. I finally got out of the house to get Grey to school today, man that was a long few days in the house with the kiddies! I was close to taking a hostage!

   Now that winter is here to stay, what do you do for your workouts? Is it harder or easier in the winter for you to get them in? I am splitting my workouts between my aerobics class and home, right now. I have trouble leaving my workouts until after supper. Things get busy with bath and bed routine. After I pick up the 10,000 pieces of leggo, light sabres, and apples stuck to the wall- I'm done! I despise getting up and getting my kids to that class by 9am, but I'm so glad when it's over for the day!

   If you go to the gym, are you this guy?...................


   We have all been this guy at one time or another, haven't we? Trying to do something on equipment that we saw someone else doing. You get started and realise it's too late and you don't have a clue! Stand there awkwardly for a few minutes. Do a few good, solid stretches for good measure then slowly walk away! 
Where ever you can get your workouts in, good for you! Just get 'er done!

   One of my husbands favourite things to eat is chicken wings. What guy doesn't love chicken wings? When I first turned legal age, the cool place to hang out was Wednesday Wing night at Boston Pizza! They were .25 cents each then. I have no idea what they even are nowadays? Probably like a dollar each!! Needless to say we haven't taken part in a good old chicken wing massacre at a restaurant lately. You know, the kind where you literally have to leave because it's not acceptable to unbutton your pants in public? We used to have wings and Butter Ripple Schnapps paralyzer's. Really? How do 18 year old's do that?? I sure can't do that now, and would pay for days if I tried. Mostly because I'm old balls, but you get the point. I make wings at home, and love them. Give these a try and see what you think!

   I paired them with brussel sprouts this time. Mostly because I had to use them up and my time was getting limited! A while back I bought a frozen bag of the sprouts, figuring I could do something good with them. God was I wrong. I think I boiled them, and they were seriously the most hideous thing ever! I broke up with them for ever. Then my good friend Buffy (yes, her real name) told me the secret is to buy them fresh.She gave me an easy way to cook them and I've been doing it since! I have had huge success with them, meaning Shane likes them! It's a success I like to compare to winning an Olympic medal. That big. Anytime my family will eat and enjoy a vegetable, I feel that streamers should stream from the sky (as long as I don't have to clean them up) and someone should present me with a beautiful medal. Too much to ask? I think not.

Honey Hot Chicken Wings
pre-heat oven to 400
You Need:
aprox. 2 lbs of raw chicken wings (I usually buy the Costco one and split it into 2 or 3 portions)
Frank's Hot sauce
1/2 cup raw honey

Using a large stock pot, dump in wings and add enough water so they are totally submerged. Boil wings at a rolling boil for 7-10 minutes, depending how much fat is coming off. I just continuously skim the top and remove the fat while boiling.
Drain wings into a colander, and rinse with cold water. Pat them dry with paper towel.
Line baking trays with tin foil.
Place baking trays on top and grease.
Put the wings on top, careful not to crowd them!


Into the oven for 30 minutes. Take them out and flip. Depending how crispy you like them, put them back in for 5-10 minutes. I do 10.
Add them to a large mixing bowl and add in the 1/2 scoop of honey and Frank's to taste. Toss to cover and you're done! I serve them with a bit of Jalapeno Greek yogurt for dipping.

Easy Brussel Sprouts
You need:
Fresh sprouts, cut in half
2-4 slices raw bacon
1/2 white onion, diced
coconut oil for frying (or butter)

Cut up the bacon into bite sized pieces, and add to a heated frying pan, with 1 tsp of the oil


Pan fry until some of the fat starts to render out. 3-4 minutes.
Add the brussel sprouts.


You should be able to continue frying in the fat form the bacon. This gives you your fab flavor that will release the streamers from the ceiling...If the pan starts to get dry, add a bit more oil or some butter as needed. Cook for 10-15 minutes, over medium heat. During the last few minutes, add in your diced onion. Sprouts are done when tender and a beautiful bright green! Add a little sea salt and black pepper and you're good to go! I put a few of my wings with just salt and pepper, in case you're wondering why I didn't mix those 3 very good! :))






No comments:

Post a Comment