Saturday 9 November 2013

Almond Flour Sandwich Rounds

Hi everyone ! Happy long weekend !!

  Just a quick post to touch base , and toss up a new recipe ! Is it chilly where you are ? We had a super nice day today , but I think the gloom is headed our way tomorrow. Some of the best cold weather dishes often involve bread. Have you given up bread , or limit it at all ? Or do you just say f$%#  it , and give 'er ? We don't avoid gluten for allergy reasons , so we have the luxury of having it some times, if we choose. Others with serious conditions , such as Crones or Celiac Disease are not so lucky. So , it's nice to have options , right ? Options that don't taste like ass are especially favourable in my books.

   I've experimented quite a bit with different Paleo / gluten free bread recipes. I've decided that the ones with coconut flour in them tend to make me sad. But , I want to like them so desperately ! So , I continue to experiment. In the meantime , I have found a few tried and true almond flour recipes that have become fav's around here. They are simple and easy to tweak (not to be confused with twerk , I can't say for sure the recipe will work if you "twerk it" !) to make them your own.

   The one I'm going to share today , came from a recipe called "sandwich rounds" . They were used as a type of  flat bread substitute. I make them with dishes that typically require "dipping" . I love dipping. Don't argue with me . I know everyone loves a good , soft , warm piece of bread to dunk in hearty comfort food. Any spice can be added to the batter , to accommodate the flavors of whatever you have as your main dish. After the "rounds" are spread onto the baking trays , I like to sprinkle them with seeds , to give them more of a multi-grain bread feel. I use roasted sesame seeds and chia seeds. Let me know if you try something new! The pictures I'm including are of our supper 2 nights ago. We had these little gems with chicken a la king. I'll include the recipe link for that as well. I used the leftover rounds (stored in the fridge) for the "bun" on Shane's breakfast sandwich the next day.Very good. I like to warm them in the toaster or in the oven. Enjoy!


Gluten / Grain Free Sandwich Rounds 


You need :

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice , or Greek yogurt )
1/4 cup melted butter or ghee (coconut oil for dairy free )
3 eggs
1 tsp garlic powder or 2-3 minced garlic bulbs
1 tsp  dried oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

chia seeds
roasted sesame seeds 

Pre heat oven to 350.
Mix all ingredients together , leaving out your seed toppings. Mix only until combined. Take it easy over there , I see you stirring aggressively! For real though , over stirring causes cranky bread. Don't expect this to look like a traditional "dough" . It should look kind of like oatmeal , or pancake batter. Carry on.



Once combined , using a large spoon , spread circles of the mixture out onto a parchment lined baking tray. Use the back of the spoon to smooth them out , thin but not with any see through spots. Be sure not to crowd the circles on the tray, they need some room to stretch out. The size of them can be according to whatever you are using them for. Just make sure to adjust baking time . I tend to make them about palm size, give or take. Once you have them spread nicely, sprinkle the tops with the seeds you have chosen. Or none at all. Be boring . Whatever.

 At this point , you're going to look at these and think , how in the name of Baby Jesus are these going to turn into anything edible ??? Be patient , my sweet . Just trust me . And follow my instructions , if you don't it's your fault !! 

Into the oven they go , for about 15-18 minutes , size depending. Very good with a bit of butter or honey melted on top. Good luck !





And here we go ! Perfect for dipping !!


original "rounds" recipe pingback to "comfybelly.com"

No comments:

Post a Comment