Tuesday 5 November 2013

Cauliflower Oven Patties

Happy Tuesday !!

   I had intended to get this one up last night , but my oldest ended up with an ear infection and we had to hang out at the ER to score some medicine ! Big shout out to the Brooks Hospital for sneaking us right in , and not making me sit in a crowded waiting room with my wailing kid !! Much appreciated.

   Monday's Grey has soccer after supper and his dad is the coach. So I need to be on the ball with dinner.I had some veggies to use up , so I decided to try out the bison cheese smokies from our order , and then paired them with cauliflower patties and brussel sprouts. These cauli patties have become a staple in our house,and were one of my first successes with a Paleo recipe. We have them pretty much weekly. They are awesome leftover for a few days , cold or hot , and freeze well with parchment between each pattie. Cauliflower is a fabulous veggie , that can be served so many ways. I never in a million years thought my family would ask for cauliflower so much ! There are so many different ways to prepare and serve veggies , a gal doesn't have to stick to plain old steamed all the time. (but that's good, too!) I think cauliflower can be considered one of the most versatile veggies. For anyone that disagrees , you're what I like to call "wrong"  :) For real though , you can pull off some seriously impressive dishes with it.

   We've learned to pair our protein with nutrient dense , filling foods, rather than processed carbs and empty calories. This has been one of my biggest differences in my journey. I'm full so much sooner , stay full and don't feel deprived . In the past , I always felt so miserable when  "dieting". You know the usual starving induced rage that comes from trying to limit yourself to a certain number of calories daily? I am so happy to be free of counting calories and fat and stressing over what to eat and when, so that I don't go over my recommended calories that day.How does my Ipad know how many calories I need, anyways? Screw you serving size, you don't know me !Ha ha. What's that new term these days..."hangry?" Well , I was always hangry . I don't have that anymore.

   For those of you that know my husband , he is a tall drink 'o water. Almost six foot four,225. On his calorie app, after entering in his hour of cardio, plus weights , it adjusted him to 1200 calories daily. Are you kidding me ? For an adult male , actively working out (and not to mention trying to survive) of his size? Pure crap !! Stop the counting , and focus on the product. Eat to exercise , not exercise to eat !!

   Now , I know the calorie apps do work for people , and some really like them. That's cool. I just worry about the stressing on a number , rather than the quality of food and using it when we need to eat , not when the computer says it's ok. Ya dig ? What and when you're eating should be related to that day's activity and nutritional need , not an identical number every single day. Find what works for you !

   Comin' at you hot......instructions for the cauliflower patties. For the smokies , I just put them in a pan with some water and cooked them stove top. They were to die for , and I'll be ordering more for sure. Sprouts recipe to come soon.


Cauliflower Patties 


You need : 
1/2 a head of cauliflower , trimmed into bigger pieces , stems removed
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar (or cheese of choice)
1/2 - 3/4 cup breadcrumbs*** (depending how much water you removed from the cauli)
sea salt and pepper to taste
any additional spices could be added. (We like cayenne , garlic powder, red pepper flakes...endless possibilities !)


***About the breadcrumbs. I use Organic Spelt breradcrumbs from the Safeway bakery. You could sub for 1/2 cup almond flour for grain free. 



Turn the oven on to 400.
Ok ,first steam your cauli until very tender and "mashable".Cool about 10 min. Mash it with a potato masher or sturdy fork. *Important step* put your mashed cauli inside a clean tea towel and squeeze the crap out of it , over the sink.. You'll be shocked at how much water will come out, I'm talking like a cup or 2 ! Please wait until it's cooled though, bandaged hands are not fashionable ! 
Once you've squeezed it , transfer to a large mixing bowl . Add in eggs , the cheese,breadcrumbs and salt and pepper. Mix to combine.



Using your hands , form into palm sized patties , about an inch or so thick.Making them just thick enough so they don't fall apart. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.



Flip after 15 minutes. They should be pretty firm by this time , and holding together like a firm pancake. Put back in for another 15-20 minutes. I like to sprinkle a bit of parm for the kids and put under the broiler for a few minutes. Or just broil without the cheese , for crispy edges !



Last nights supper. The patties , bison smokie with horseradish mustard and brussel sprouts with bacon and onion.




Enjoy !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment