Thursday 28 November 2013

Banana Bread and Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps

   Happy Thursday, everyone !

   Last night my good friend decided to post my blog link to her facebook status. At first I was terrified, but as it turned out, I got so many positive comments and questions! I am so thankful that people are even reading it , let alone liking it! And so happy to have good friends that have faith in me and want to help me succeed! What's a girl without that?

   I saw a cooking show today while I was folding laundry, (I know, riveting) one of those quick fire challenge-type ones. One of the contestants was an actual medal winning Olympic athlete. His big "thing" was all about very small portion sizes, and how athletes or people losing weight need to "always be dieting". Say whaaaaaa? I couldn't disagree more. And to have someone who should be considered a role model telling people to always be dieting is re-donkulous. I think the exact opposite is true. Yes, for sure some people need to learn about portion sizes, and always keep that in check. But to always be dieting? What kind of life is that? Get rid of the fake, processed crap and trade it for real food. End of story.

   I decided to get all up in my bake today. Grey has a playdate this week with a friend that has a nut allergy. So I opted for a banana bread recipe that uses wheat flour instead of my usual almond flour. Ease down, no need to call the Paleo Police. I'm well aware wheat isn't Paleo. Like I've mentioned before, we are not 100% Paleo, and I have no problem using it occasionally. Also, not all people reading are Paleo. It's about cleaning up our diets, and eating real food. So, I'll share the banana bread recipe. If you're avoiding gluten for allergy reasons, this is a tough one because in most baking, I find almond flour can't really be subbed for regular wheat. I'll supply a link at the end for a Paleo version that I would normally use when no allergies are involved.

   For supper tonight, I went with a really simple chili lime chicken fajita in a lettuce warp. Easy, and can be adapted to whatever meat/ veggies you have on hand. There's not much of a recipe involved, but I'll add a few pictures to give you the idea!

   Ever put so much work into something for your family? You think it's going to be the hit of the century, everyone will love you and tell you on repeat what an awesome mom you are. Then you bust it out and the reaction is like a swift kick to the crotch? I'm "that guy". Grey saw something on t.v. about doing 'Christmas cooking" , so he asked if we could have a Christmas snack. With being away, I haven't totally broke into all my holiday stuff yet. But I did have these cute little baking molds that are Christmas Tree, a bell and a snowman. Done and done. They will love this, I thought to myself. I made my double batch of banana bread and filled my 2 baking trays with the batter.


After they are done, I proudly take them out and tell Grey to come check them out. He rushes over, and then gives the tray the biggest stink eye a 4 year old could muster. "Why are they like that" he says with basic disgust. I try telling him it's Christmas cooking, like he wanted. "Um, no thanks - I'm full." he says. Shane comes home for lunch and looks at them. He asks if he's allowed to have one. Finally, a taker. I wait for the praise. "Sweet, you made drumstick shaped ones, what are they for, anyways?" 
Ummmmm, what? Jesus Christ. Christmas cooking,eh? Nailed it.



Anyways, here's the recipe. Try it if you like broken hearts and disappointment. Ha! Kidding, they are fab and my family can suck it !! They will be all gone by tomorrow with no complaining, I'm sure.

Banana Bread:  (single batch)
You need:
pre-heat oven to 350

3 ripe banana's (I doubled, and used 4 banana's and 2 zucchini, for a single you could use 2 banana and one zucchini.)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup softened butter (don't you dare use margarine, or friend's off)
1/2 cup organic coconut brown sugar (you can use regular brown sugar, but it's sweeter than the coconut, so you might add a bit more to your taste.)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1-2 tbsp pure vanilla
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp cinnamon (optional)

Mash banana's, stir in the baking soda and set aside. If you're using zucchini as well, grate it on your cheese grater and squeeze the life out of it. Mix in with the bananas.


With a hand mixer, cream your butter and brown sugar together. Scrape sides down with spatula. In a separate , small bowl, whip the eggs until frothy. 10-15 seconds. Add them to your butter mixture in 2 batches. Mix to combine. Stir in your mashed mixture by hand. Add the rest of the ingredients, and stir to combine. No over-mixing!


Spoon batter into a greased loaf pan, mini muffin tins, regular sized- whatever you like. Although, I don't recommend anything in a Christmas shape.  :)
Loaf pan- aprox 40-45 min
mini-muff's - 12-14 min
regular muffin's 16-18 min



For the fajitas, I just cubed up 3 chicken breasts. Fried them in a deep frying pan in coconut oil until cooked through. I had mushrooms, red and orange peppers and onions. Cut those up and sauteed in butter until crisp but tender. Add the 2 together and squeezed a lime and some Frank's over the mixture. I bought some chipolte sauce, but god was it hot! Only used a bit. Served in lettuce wraps with fresh salsa and plain greek yogurt.



Enjoy!!
Paleo version:








No comments:

Post a Comment